Last month February was bombarded with hearts and roses marketing for our loved ones. In the spirt of this months’ theme, I’d like to declare a Happy Friendship Day. I am in the mood after finishing the book “The 8 Vital Friends” by Tom Roth.
Reviewing my network as described by the author, I am grateful and blessed to have someone or many someones in each categories that I have developed a close bond over time.
1. Builders. They tend to be the motivator, the catalyst, the cheerleader. They are not competitive with you. They stay close to your and help you build your career development. They pushes you to do more and be great. They have faith in you.
2. Champions. They are kinda like the builders but they tend to your peers. They cheer for your and are your loyal friend. Count on them. Be their best advocate. When you succeed, they are happy. Say good things in your absence. Tell your champion about your gratitude and they will be very happy that you acknowledge their loyalty and friendship. When you make mistake, tell them and they will be nonjudgmental.
3. Collaborator. You are friends, belonging to the same group with common ground. They have similar passions with you. They collaborate in action and share experience. Brainstorm new ideas for discussion. Form a group that you enjoy. Share events and ideas. Think of them when the topics arises.
4. Companion. They are your first person you call. Take pride and sacrifice for you. A friendship for a lifetime. Trust them with your life. Do something and no question asked. Allow them to be in themselves. Be a good listener. Boost spirit by dignity and respect. Work through conflict.
5. Connector. Get to know and introduce you to others to get new people. They are someone who introduce you to other and run a social life network. Let friends know that they can use you as connector. Help them and reach out to them.
6. Energizer. They are the booster who make any sour situation fun and happy. They are laughing and happy and have lots of energy. They are cheerful. They are always smiling, tell a joke, make you laugh, and have fun together.
7. Mind-openeder. They embrace new ideas. They challenge innovate idea and ask good questions, express new ideas, conversely. Challaenge the conventional and status quo. Mind opened to the challenge presented to you.
8. Navigator, They are people you talk with when you are stuck. They talk with the pro and con about the situation and allow you to see the big overall picture. They help you see positive while keeping you grounded. Thye help your reach your goals. They are kinda like your mentors.
Thank you to my 8 vital friends. You have made me to whom I am today.